Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Great Books Week - Wednesday

.
Wednesday:
.
I’d write my autobiography, but I don’t need to, because my story has already been told in…

.

The only book I could come up with that resembled my story is Peter Maas's, Serpico.
.


Not because I worked Vice or Homicide in my cop days and not because I discovered rife corruption in the force or had fellow cops wanting me dead...
.
I do however feel a strong affinity with Frank Serpico - morally and ethically. My integrity ended up being my downfall in the Force.
.
I joined the police to help people and it was a career I thought I would spend my entire working life. I strongly believe I did help people along the way and there were many positive things to come out of my 21 years as a Police Officer.
.
But there were bad things too. Lots of bad things.
.
I don't sleep well most nights. There are things inside my head I don't want to see again but when they are on the inside, you can't close your eyes.
.
In the end, my bosses - through their petty minded interference and politics - made my life so miserable when I refused to compromise my integrity and tow their version of the line. A line, that did not include helping the people that needed help the most.
.
However, on a brighter note, I'm doing much better now. Those little angel figurines with no faces don't freak me anymore - well not completely. And I have nights now when I don't dream...
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment