Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Speculative Fiction Workshop


BLOOD, BOGGARTS AND BATTLESTARS: AN INTRODUCTION TO SPECULATIVE FICTION
With Margo Lanagan - at the NSW Writers' Centre.
.
I find myself looking forward to Margo Lanagan’s speculative fiction workshop in March. Plenty of hands on exercises.
.
As a reader, I have always been a fan of fantasy. (I do use always in a relatively loose fashion. I was a late starter as a reader finishing my first ever novel in Year 11 at school). Tolkien, Steven Donaldson, David Eddings, Susan Cooper, Anne McCaffrey and Raymond E Feist were all favourites once I caught the bug.
.
I am also a huge fan of Science Fiction and horror movies but couldn’t really find as much passion for Sci-fi and horror books back then. I have since discovered some brilliant science fiction authors, particularly Elizabeth Moon. And Simon Haynes is great for sci-fi humour.
.
I find that I still don’t like horror stories that rely on gratuitous violence and gore to be scary. (Scott Sigler could be the exception to that rule). That goes for books and movies. It just isn’t scary. The stories that give me delicious shivers are the subtle ones that sneak up on you. The ones that could almost be possible. Dean Koontz is the standout there.
.
Now as a writer, I find myself drawn to the speculative end of the scale. I’m not really happy unless there is at least a hint of magic in my stories.
.
Fantasy and Horror are huge in publishing at present, particularly in young adult and children’s fiction. This is thanks to the Harry Potter and Twilight phenomena. It’s hard to keep up with the new vampire titles. (Thank goodness they are on the way out). On the other hand, Science fiction seems to be dead in the water.

.
So knowing that, why did I pick a science fiction story to write during last years NaNoWriMo. Seriously, I’m asking – I have no idea. Now I have the story in the form of a very rough first draft. But what do I do with it now? Are publishers even looking at science fiction? They don’t seem to be. Is it even worth the effort in re-writing and polishing my draft? Or do I write something more commercially viable?
.
I’m hoping Margo’s workshop will answer some of my questions.

2 comments:

  1. I love science fantasy but I just can't write it. I have ms to prove that! I've never been a big horror fan - but lately I have found myself drawn to darker stories. I am avidly reading all the Neil Gaiman I can get my hands on. And last week I picked up an old master (but a new read for me ) - Edgar Allan Poe. I'm keen to hear how the workshop goes

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain
    Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;..." ;}

    The Graveyard Book is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete